Saturday, September 22, 2012

Nautical Sweater to Cardigan Thrift Store Mashup #3

     I had seen a pin on Pinterest (isn't that how it always starts?!) on how to make a sweater into a cute cardigan. I thought it was a great idea, and hey who can ever have enough cardigans? So I hit up my favorite local Goodwill and came up with a red and white striped sweater.  I decided I was going to transform it into a nautical cardigan(since nautical is all the rage but sooo expensive in stores)! So here it goes...

I measured across the front of the sweater and cut straight down the middle.

Then I pinned equal amounts of fabric up under the cut edge to make a nice even edge for me to hem (the inspiring pin used stitch witch adhesive, but I didn't have any and I would much rather sew it!)

I hemmed the edge...

And there you go!

Then I decided to really play up the nautical theme and added a row of three buttons down the sleeves like so...


I think it looks cute!


So there you have it my nautical sweater for a whopping $3 instead of $45 somewhere else!

A little thread and a few buttons go along way!

I'd love to see your sweater refashions! Leave a comment!

Xoxo,



  This post has been linked to The Stuff of Success, Tater Tots and Jello, and Classy Clutter.

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Nikki! I love it! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I'm glad you like it! You know you can even do this without a sewing machine!!!

      Delete
  2. GREAT idea! I actually have some old sweaters that I'm not really "feeling" anymore. I might try to make them into cardis instead :o)

    Thanks so much for linking up at the CHQ Blog Hop. We're thrilled you joined us last week and hope you'll be back next week as well! We've got another AMAZING giveaway for everyone...you won't want to miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like the post! I will be back for sure at the Blog Hop!

      Xoxo,
      Nikki

      Delete
  3. Great job making an old sweater into a great looking cardigan and for only $3, too!!! Fabulous idea to add the buttons on the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I thought the buttons really helped the overall style!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! I love the red stripes too! The buttons you added on the sleeves really finish off the nautical look! Great job! Thanks for joining the party at Keep Calm and Link Up!
    Barbara at Chase the Star
    www.chasethestar.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Love your party, and I will for sure be back!

      Delete
  5. There are so many annoying things in the Taps UK, do not let the Bathtub Taps to chaos! Smoothly with the leader, often people do not feel it's there, but mainly with its spool, Pull Out Kitchen Taps, switch the way.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love reading your comments! It seriously makes my day. -Nikki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...